Finished: Ashburn Shawl

I finished my Ashburn shawl Friday night and, by the magic of a Southern winter, had it completely blocked and dry this morning!  It's been really warm and sunny here this weekend, which was the perfect excuse to lay the shawl out in the sun and have it ready for our next cold front.

I started Ashburn right after Christmas, so it took about 20 days to make, and that's including a few days where I was too sick to knit.  I feel like I flew through the first third but hit a wall with the second and third sections - the second section has a different stitch, which slows you down, and by the time you get back to garter at the end, your rows are 200 stitches long.  Sometimes it was all I could do to knit a few rows before bed!  But I powered through and love it, even the bobbly bindoff that didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would.

I made a few changes but nothing major: the pattern calls for a US6 needle, but I used US5 because most people who made it said the shawl was still large enough and had great drape (check and check - no regrets there).  I also liked the contrast of the grays more than the darker gray and the blue, so I used that for the stripes in the last third.  I wanted to use as much yarn as possible on this, and it helped eat up some of the light gray skein.

It's huge and warm and so, so squishy.  It's also my first fingering-weight Plucky Knitter project and I can't tell you how thrilled I am with the yarn.  It's all very soft but still durable - no splitting, breaking or pilling while I knit!  I'm very happy with it.

Pattern: Melanie Berg's Ashburn Shawl / Yarn: The Plucky Knitter Primo Fingering in Dove Cote (blue) and Gum Shoe (dark gray) and The Plucky Knitter Plucky Feet in Heartstrings (light gray; December 2014 Classics Club colorway) / Ravelry notes here